What is Responsibly Sourced Seafood?
The Fish Right, Eat Right symbol on a menu is Belize’s assurance that your seafood has been responsibly sourced – that is, caught legally, and following best management practices.
Initial Requirements for Receiving Recognition through the Fish Right, Eat Right Certification
· Education: knowledge of Belize fisheries regulations and sustainable fisheries management
· Compliance & Transparency: compliance with the Fisheries Regulations and participation with the data collection program of the Belize Fisheries Department
· Promotion & Awareness: promotion on menu of sustainable seafood options and display of educational material that highlights the Fisheries Regulations and other sustainable fisheries management initiatives
· Purchase of legally-sourced seafood
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the goal of the program?
· To have seafood purveyors become part of the solution to managing and protecting Belize’s natural resources – by agreeing to purchase only seafood that is legally caught, and follows best management practices, reducing the market for juvenile seafood products and other unsustainable practices.
Who is running the program?
· Implementing agencies: Belize Fisheries Department (BFD) and Belize Tourism Board (BTB)
· Supporting Organizations: Belize Federation of Fishers (BFF), Belize Fishermen Cooperative Association (BFCA), Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA), Oceana, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), and Environmental Defense Fund (EDF).
When can I sign up?
· Right now we are developing recognition for the brand, developing criteria, and developing training materials – we expect to pilot the criteria in February 2018 with participating restaurants.
Who can join?
· Any restaurant/hotel in Belize whose seafood is primarily sourced locally (from Belize). At the outset, this program will be limited to restaurants/hotels, but may be expanded to supermarkets, fish markets and other seafood purveyors in the future.
What does it cost?
· Initial implementation will not require any payment for membership (so get in early!); however, a membership fee will be considered for retaining certification in subsequent years.
What’s in it for me?
· Marketing materials: The Fish Right, Eat Right symbol for easy identification on menus along with collateral and branded materials will be provided for proud display throughout your establishment. As well as, listing on the Fish Right Eat Right and Belize Tourism Board’s websites, and the Fish Right Eat Right App, showcasing your partnership, through use of the Fish Right, Eat Right symbol.
· Promotion and advertising: participating partners will be listed on the program website with up to date information and location of participating restaurants; promotion through traditional and social media, which translates into global advertising.
· Training and events: Participation in the BTB’s events across Belize, where they help showcase and advertise the great work you are doing in sustainable seafood, e.g. Taste of Belize and the Belize Tourism Awards; education for chefs on using and preparing underutilized species (e.g. lionfish); exposure to local and regional chefs.
· Greater knowledge of what, where, and how your seafood was caught, which is beneficial for food safety and the health of your customers.
· Support of local fishers that are committed to sustainable use of Belize’s natural resources.
How does this fit in with other sustainable seafood programs?
· Fish Right, Eat Right compliments international sustainable seafood certifications and rating programs by ensuring that those involved in the preparation and sale of seafood are committed to buying legally caught local seafood. In this way, we can work with other globally recognized certifications and ratings that certify seafood products themselves (e.g., MSC, Fair Trade, Seafood Watch).